Who wants cracked, dry, and rough skin? No one. Yet, here we are every winter, trying to figure out how to make sure we don't get those pesky dry spots or tight dry skin. This is a problem I've had for years and the main reason I started this journey of skincare formulation so many years ago (plus my horrible cystic acne, more on that later.)
When I started formulating skincare, I played it safe and stuck to the "easy" stuff: balms, oils, and toners. After I enrolled in school to become a skincare formulator, a whole new world was unlocked. You can indeed make more advanced skincare, and it can still be natural and plant-based, never having to compromise on the ingredients or the formulation process.
Upon graduating, I started to run trials on my water-based daily moisturizer. The thing everyone wants, but they want it without all the toxins and fillers. After MANY failed attempts, spilled beakers, frustration, and surprises, The Cloud Cream that you will all get to know and love was born. Without toxic ingredients, you don't understand.
What is it?
This daily moisturizing cream is lightweight yet deeply penetrates the layers of the skin for a long-lasting and healing hydration that absorbs into the skin quickly. The Cloud Cream is a water-based moisturizer that allows for deeper and more nourishing hydration to the skin while also containing amazing plant oils to provide restoration and healing to the skin.
Water-based moisturizers contain humectants that prevent against TEWL (transepidermal water loss). This helps to keep your skin hydrated and plump while not leaving your skin feeling weight down like a balm might.
Formulated with LMW Hyaluronic Acid (more on that below), Organic Rose Hydrosol, Goldenseal, Squalene, and many more ingredients, all chosen with purpose, this cream helps to keep your skin moisturized, fight against redness (including skin issues like dermatitis, and eczema, and psoriasis), help treat acne, reduce fine lines and aging signs, and bring a slew of minerals and vitamins into your skin not just on top of your skin. The Cloud Cream is formulated for all skin types, and we are currently offering two variations of this product so everyone can try it. Try it with "scent," Organic Rose and Ylang Ylang Essential Oils, or the "unscented" version that is essential oil-free for those who may have more sensitive skin (Note that a rose smell will still be present due to the Rose Hydrosol).
What's in it?
Here is the full list of ingredients,
Ingredients: Aqua, Rose Damascena (Rose) Flower Water*, Aloe barbadensis Leaf Juice*, Cetearyl Olivate and Sorbitan Olivate (Olivem 1000)**, Squalene*, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Oil*, Adansonia Digitata (Baobab) Oil*, Lactobacillus Ferment***, Cera Alba (Beeswax)*, Hydrastis Canadensis (Goldenseal) Extract, Sodium Hyaluronate (Hyaluronic Acid), Rosa Damascena (Rose) Flower Oil* Cananga Odorata (Ylang Ylang) Oil*, Potassium Sorbate***, Tocopherol (Vitamin E)
*Organic **Plant based emulsifier ***plant-based preservative
Let's break those down.
- Hyaluronic Acid: HA is a naturally occurring glycosaminoglycan found in the body. It is incredibly hydrating and can bind up to 1000 times its weight in water to the skin. It is a humectant that helps to keep your skin plump, hydrated, and deeply nourished. It can also increase skin elasticity and help treat skin redness, eczema, and fine lines. It helps to prevent TEWL, preventing loss of water from the skin. We specifically use LMW (low molecular weight) Hyaluronic acid, which naturally occurs in the tissues of the body and is found in its highest concentration in the skin, cartilage, and eyes. It protects cell structures and acts as a water reservoir for the cells between skin cells. This form of HA is especially great for helping with wrinkle/fine line care and prevention.
- Rose Hydrosol: Rose hydrosol is different from rose water, which is infused with rose essential oil and water. Rose hydrosol is the water left behind from the steam of distilled rose petals. It is incredibly nourishing and is packed with healing properties. It helps soothe inflamed and irritated skin, including eczema, psoriasis, and other skin issues. It has also been known to help treat acne, balance oily skin, and hydrate dry skin. Among all of the other amazing benefits, rose hydrosol also helps to reduce fine lines and signs of aging while also encouraging skin cell regeneration, making it a great option for aging skin.
- Goldenseal: Goldenseal is an amazing extract that has been used medicinally for centuries. It contains both antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties and helps to soothe several skin issues, such as acne and psoriasis. It is also a rich source of vitamins A, B, C, and E, as well as other minerals such as iron, zinc, potassium, calcium, and manganese. It is a very effective natural acne remedy by killing acne-causing bacteria and can help calm inflamed skin.
- Baobab Oil: Rich in Omega-3 Fatty acids and other fats such as palmitic acid, oleic acid, linolenic acid, and linoleic acid. This oil is known to help prevent TEWL (water loss) and help keep your skin moisturized and soft. It also can help to improve skin texture, skin elasticity, and help repair the skin barrier.
- Jojoba Oil: This oil is a lightweight and absorbent wax ester that is non-greasy, and rich in vitamin E and antioxidants that help to maintain skin hydration and fight acne. Jojoba oil mimics human skin's natural sebum, so it helps balance the oil production of the skin.
- Squalene: It is an emollient and occlusive. It is very stable and not prone to oxidation. Squalene feels light on the skin and does not clog pores but helps deeply nourish the skin.
- Aloe Vera Leaf Juice: Aloe Vera Juice is hydrating, nourishing, and even exfoliating for the skin. Aloe helps repair damage from UV radiation, helps to smooth the skin, and is packed with antioxidants and vitamins. It is a natural emollient and is great for deeply hydrating the skin.
- Lactobacillus Ferment: A probiotic-based preservative that helps keep the microbiome of the skin in balance while preserving water-based products. It is a super safe and non-toxic skincare preservative.
- Potassium Sorbate is a non-toxic preservative derived from sorbic acid (a naturally occurring food preservative). This preservative stops the growth of fungi and bacteria mold in water-based formulations, making it possible for water-based creams to survive past a few days.
- Beeswax is an emollient and firming agent in many skincare products, but it also helps to soothe and calm the skin, repair skin damage, and promote skin regeneration. It also helps to slow the signs of aging and reduce skin issues.
- Olivem 1000 is a natural emulsifier used in water-based skincare products derived from olive oil. It is used to find water-based ingredients and oil-based ingredients together. It helps to fight against TEWL and increase the hydration rate of the overall product.
In our "scented" version.
- Rose Essential Oil: Packed with antibacterial and anti-fungal properties, making it perfect for fighting acne and other agitating skin issues. It also helps to keep the skin nourished and works to heal damaged and dry skin. Rose essential Oil helps to improve the texture of the skin and fight against free radicals.
- Ylang Ylang Essential Oil: Known for balancing and regulating oil production, Ylang Ylang prevents excess oiliness and dryness and soothes inflammation and irritation.
How do you use it?
The Cloud Cream is intended for daily use, morning and night. After cleaning (with either the Nourishing Oil Cleanser or Sunshine Oil Cleanser) and toning (with our OG or Rose Toner), apply a dime-sized amount to the skin. You can then follow up with facial oil (Omega, OG, or Renew Facial Oil) or OG balm of your choice if desired. When using in the morning, finish off with your favorite mineral SPF.
Storage and Care
Store in a cool, dry place. This product is water-based, and while it does have plant-based preservatives, getting excess water, steam from your shower in it, or direct sunlight constantly soaking into the jar can shorten the lifetime of the product. This product has a six-month shelf life.
We hope you give this new and exciting product and try and watch it transform your skin!
Disclaimer: This products is natural and intended to be used fresh. See storage and care instructions bellow. This product is also best used with only other natural and plant based products to ensure the best absorption and safety for your skin. All skin is different and no one person's skin and reactions to products are the same. Irritation may occur if used with non-natural skincare products and/or customer has sensitive skin issues or allergies. All things listed and discussed on the Ash + Stone Skincare website, or social media platforms are just our educated opinions and suggestions, not medical advice. As always, consult with your medial provider to make sure this product is right for you.